- Rep. K. Williams
- Additional Sponsor(s):
- Sen. Sturgeon
- Sen. Gay, Hoffner, Sokol, Walsh
- Rep. Baumbach, Bush, Briggs King, Heffernan, Lynn, Osienski
Some bills are critical and need action while others are on the “watch list” that we neither support or oppose. HB 45 is one to asses and watch. This bill would allow parents to “opt-out” of the required development/social-emotional screenings done for children who attend a licensed child-care facility. As you listen to the committee hearing on Wed, Jan 18th at 3pm, keep in mind that the children mentioned in the bill are aged “birth to 5 years” and consider the following questions:
- What does “social-emotional” screening involve, particularly for such a young age range?
- Why is this something that requires parents to “opt-out” rather than “opt-in?”
- If the parent doesn’t opt-out, the child-care provider will complete the screening upon parental consent. Does that mean the screening is currently accessible for parents to review?
Bill Progress & Current Status: